COVID-19 Billing Codes & Modifiers
The Public Health Emergency (PHE) due to COVID-19 has not only changed the landscape for how healthcare organizations treat, diagnose, and communicate (telehealth) with patients, but it has also impacted the revenue cycle from the billing, coding, and reimbursement aspect. New diagnosis codes, CPT codes, modifiers, classifications of visits, and changes in reimbursement are topics that healthcare leaders need to be informed of and to have processes for auditing compliance and tracking payer tendencies.
Have you asked your revenue cycle team members the following questions?
- Do you have a tracking mechanism for:
- Telehealth visits
- COVID-19 suspected and confirmed cases
- Can you easily report the total number of telehealth visits and billed cases?
- How are you identifying uninsured COVID-19 patients?
- How did you communicate with the patient?
- Did you document how much time you spent with the patient?
- Does your assessment & plan capture the complexity of the visit?
- Are payers reimbursing appropriately?
- Outpatient visits
- Are you receiving denials?
- What CPT Codes are you using for:
- Lab Testing
- Specimen Collection
- What diagnosis is primary?
- Are you addressing any comorbidities that increase your level of concern for the patient?
- How are you submitting UB04 and 1500 claims?
- Revenue Codes
- Place of Service Codes
- Condition Codes
If your team is unable to answer or provide satisfactory answers to these questions, we may be able to help. We can offer the following assistance:
- General educational material regarding billing codes and modifiers
- Billing documentation including templates for required clinical medical record documentation
- Auditing of records for coding/billing compliance
- Validating accurate reimbursement by payer
- Providing interim billing and coding duties for those clients that may experience staff absence due to illness related to COVID-19 or paid time off after the pandemic
If you would like to talk about your organization’s situation or needs, please contact us using the form below.
Connect with our team.
To learn more about our services and areas of expertise, send us a message.
We’re entering the final weeks of Period 4 reporting period that closes on March 31, 2023. Period 4 reporting is required for any organization that received more than $10,000 in […]
Reporting on Provider Relief Funds for Period 3 opened on July 1, 2022 and runs through September 30, 2022. Period 3 reporting is for any PRF payments you may have […]
It’s the second week of January and the Provider Relief Fund reporting portal is open for Period 2 reporting. The portal will remain open until March 31, 2022 and is […]
HRSA is prepared to send out $9B of Phase 4 PRF payments to providers this week. 75% of Phase 4 applications are processed and ready to be paid this week […]
President Biden’s administration recently announced its Path Out of the Pandemic action plan which included specific guidance around a COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The action plan calls for employers with 100 […]
We have a short PRF update this week as the ARP Rural application deadline approaches. Reminder: The application portal closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, October 26. Before you can […]